February 13, 2005

SF Movie Report 2: Sideways


[Sideways]
"In search of wine. In search of women. In search of themselves."

Director: Alexsander Payne
Casts: Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Sandra Oh, Virginia Madsen, Marylouise Bruke
Release Date in Japan: March 5.

Story: Two men reaching middle age with not much to show but disappointment, embark on a week long road trip through California's wine country, just as one is about to take a trip down the altar.

Honestly, I rarely watch movies directed by unknown filmmaker for me. Even after I finished the film, I was still wondering why this movie made me interested and brought me in the theater… Of course, my dearest combination, California and wine, was one of the reasons, but also maybe I was expecting to see the difference form the other made-in-Hollywood movies.

Story of this movie is just simple. Normally such an easy plot movie tends to end in failure because of the low budget, not so much events and small scale distribution. However, the director, Alexander Payne, showed us his great sense of balance between sophistication of wine and humor of southern California in one movie; he is just like a wine producer. Wine, the theme of this movie, could be too stylish for wide range of audience to understand the plot, and also the essence of comedy could be so cheesy that it sometimes makes us feel annoying. But, Payne successfully combined those two aspects and put them into a bottle of wine. In some part of movie, he added the serious conversation about the life of wine, on the other hand, sometimes two main characters’ behavior was just stupid enough to make us laugh.

Especially what I liked about this movie is that the main character, Miles, who is addicted to wine, loves Pinot Noir the best, but he hates Merlot… In the movie, he explained about why Pinot Noir is best for him, Pinot is more delicate, takes time to be ripe, and sensitive to the place to grow up, unlike Merlot or Cabernet with stronger body. All those detailed setting creates peoples’personality, storyline, and atmosphere of the movie.

Even now, I cannot really conclude that what was the motivation for me to watch this movie, I don’t know. But the flavor of this movie certainly will last forever with my memory of staying here, even after I leave California. Only for this movie, I strongly recommend; please wait until the DVD is released, and grab a bottle of Pinot Noir, and please open it before you press the play button of your player, because nothing can be a better appetizer for wine than this movie.




ストーリー: 日々の生活に焦燥感を感じている二人の中年の男達は、1週間のカリフォルニア・ワイナリー巡りの旅に出る。そのうちの一人は結婚という船出が間近に迫っているにもかかわらずに。
「人生の寄り道ロードムービー。」

正直、あんまり自分の興味外の監督作を見ないっていう傾向があります。映画を見終わった後でもなお、どうしてこの映画を見たいと思ったんだろうって悩みは消えなかったなぁ。カリフォルニアとワインっていう大好きな組み合わせに興味をそそられたのはもちろんだけど、もしかしたらこの映画には他のハリウッド映画と一線を画する何かがあるかもって期待があったからかもね。

映画のストーリーはきわめて単純。たいていこの手の、低予算で、劇中の出来事が少なく、配給の小さい映画は得てして駄作に終わることが多いけど、まるでワインの作り手のように、ワインの洗練さと南カリフォルニアのユーモアを絶妙に交えた秀逸のバランス感覚を、監督アレクサンダー・ペインはこの映画で見せてくれました。この映画のテーマである、ワインは様々な観客にたいして話を小難しくする危険性がある。くわえて、コメディーにおける笑いの見せ方もやり方によっては安っぽくなり不快感すらも与える危険性がある。
でもペインはこの二つのリスクを巧みに、一つのワインボトルに詰め込こんだ心地よい作品に仕上げました。映画の中で、時にはワインの一生についてのシリアスな話が出てきたり、またある時は二人の主人公が本気で馬鹿げたユーモアを見せたり。

とくにこの映画の中で最も好きだった演出は、ワインマニアの主人公マイルズはピノ・ノワールが大好きで、メルローはまったくうけつけないっていう性格描写。彼は映画の中でこう説明します。「ピノは繊細で、実が熟するのに時間がかかる、そして育つのに場所を選ぶ。カベルネはどこでも生えちゃうからね。」これら全ての設定が登場人物の性格、ストーリー性、映画の雰囲気を作り上げている。

今でさえもどうしてこの映画を観ようと思ったのかその理由に結論はでない。でもひとつ確かなことは、いつかカリフォルニアを離れる時が来ても、この映画の雰囲気はここでの生活の記憶とともに決して忘れることはないということ。この映画だけは、DVDのレンタル開始を待つことをお勧めします。そしてレンタルしたら必ず、DVDプレイヤーの再生ボタンを押す前に1本のピノ・ノワールを用意し、開栓してください。だってこの映画よりもワインにマッチした前菜なんてそうはなかなか見つけられないよ、まじで。

2 comments:

  1. What's up Chu? I like your blog a lot. Especially, your picture looks so cool. I trid to immitate the way you edited your pic, but mine looks so different. Please teach me how you made it. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Satoly:

    My image is really easy. I just used one filter. You can find Cut-out filter in Artistic category in PS. Then important point is I added my important icon, glasses, by Illustrator.

    By the way, if your interview brings you good result as well as free airplane ticket, please let me know, I'll at least give you a bottle of beer!!

    ReplyDelete